Friday, March 30, 2012

Groceries

We will be vacationing in Kauai next week and am wondering which is the most economical place to buy groceries - Foodland, Big Save or Safeway?



Groceries


All three are pretty pricey, but my experience has been, from least to most expensive:





Safeway, then Big Save, then Foodland





I would say Foodland and Big Save are fairly close though. It also depends on where you do your grocery shopping. Foodland in Princeville is a bit more expensive than Foodland in Kapaa.



Groceries


Can I jump in this thread - we are coming soon and planning to shop at Costco for sure and can someone refresh my memory - is Kmart in the same shopping center as Costco?




Foodland and Safeway both have their weekly flyers online. We cook most of our meals so I look at the specials right before we leave. Gives me a good idea for meal planning. Make sure you sign up for the club cards too - substantial savings (can be done at the store).





3Chihuahuas




Pretty much so. Costco is across the road from where Kmart is located.




Oh yes, thanks 3Chihuahuas for the reminder. Safeway and Foodland have discounts cards, and you will definitely want to get those to save big $$$. You can get both at the store as you%26#39;re checking out.




Regarding Costco- We are going to Kauai for 10 days in June. I am concerned that I will be over buying at Costco. We are a family of four. I don%26#39;t think we could finish off a package of chicken breasts, for instance. Are there particular food items that are better purchased at Costco? I live near a Costco and shop there frequently. I don%26#39;t think I go through many items in 10 days because the quantities are so huge.





Rene%26#39;






Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!





';is Kmart in the same shopping center as Costco?';





No, Costco is in the ';Big Box'; Shopping Area with Home Depot that is across the road in the old Kukui Grove Pavillion area - if you drive behind K-Mart you won%26#39;t be able to miss it.





I shop at Costco and there are only 2 of us in our hale - I don%26#39;t like to buy in huge bulk unless it is something I know will last forever. There are lots of things you can get at Costco that are not in huge quantities - their $5.00 bar-be-qued chicken is very popular - I%26#39;ve purchased their mahi and ahi fish filets there as well as crab and ahi poke.





I love their take and bake pizzas as well. You can buy single pineapples and certain other types of fruit as well.





While certainly they are known for their ';bulk'; items, not everything is that way.





Malama Pono,



Janet




Star Market is in the same shopping center as K-Mart. We like this store since they have a wider selection and they carry some organic products. I%26#39;m not sure how their proies compare to Safeway or Foodland since we rarely stay on that side of the island.




%26lt;%26lt;Star Market is in the same shopping center as K-Mart. %26gt;%26gt;



Sort of...



About Costco and bulk items. I don%26#39;t like to waste my time in Costco unless I am buying for a party or buying a lot of wine and booze. You%26#39;ll be surprised how much gets thrown out at the end of your trip because you end up eating out so much.



A few items I do buy if the entire family is there and I have to go to Costco anyway.



lunch meats, eggs, booze, soft drinks, waters, premade salads, gift items like mac nuts, steaks



I think the offerings at Safeway are just fine. I know I am in the minority on this subject, but over buying just makes me crazy. I end up so mad at myself that last day. Just MO.




The last few trips I%26#39;ve taken to Kauai, I%26#39;ve travelled solo, and Costco was never practical for me. I just don%26#39;t eat that much when I%26#39;m on vacation, and find myself even buying more than I need at Foodland and Big Save. I%26#39;m lucky if I can get through a half gallon of juice in a week, and I never buy more than a half dozen eggs for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment