Friday, March 30, 2012

Tipping Bartenders and cocktail server?

Please help as we dont tip in our country and I dont want the server thinking we are mean and then not return to serve us more!



I have read to tip the bartender 15-20% - this is the person that makes the cocktail i presume and then another 15% to the cocktail server who delivers the drink - is this correct?



thanks for your help



Tipping Bartenders and cocktail server?


you only tip once, if you sit at the bar and the bartender makes and gives you the drinks just tip him. If you sit at a bar table and a cute bargirl gets the drinks tip her.





If you get 2 drinks, leave a dollar per round or maybe two. Keep in mind bartenders have very good memories on who tips and who doesn%26#39;t.





Let me say that after trying it both ways it is a good thing to tip, service tends to be much better.



Tipping Bartenders and cocktail server?


If you order from the bartender you tip him and if you order from a waitress you would only tip him or her. The waitress shares the tip with the bartender. Don%26#39;t tip both people. Also, most people tip in even amounts $1.00, $2.00 etc..




more like 10% for bars and servers...tip the server id sitting awau from the bar.... at the bar tip the bartender..........I use a credit card... and tip when I check out...using the card and getting miles for the tip..I seldom tip cash ever.




You tip the person that serves you and that could be a waitperson if you are sitting at a table, or the bartender if you are sitting at the bar. You don%26#39;t tip both, only the one that puts the drink in front of you. Servers sometimes share a percentage of their nightly tips for the drinks they have served from the bar, with the bartenders. It is not your responsibility.





If you were to order something inexpensive (let%26#39;s say $2, if there exists a $2 drink anymore) and then leave .30 or .40 then it would not be an appropriate tip (my opinion only, please no one skewer me). I usually leave something in the neighborhood of $1 for each drink served, more or less, depending on ciscumstances, which I will try to explain. I tip depending on friendliness and attitude of the server, promptness of service, the price of the drinks, and the length of time I sit. If a customer sits well beyond the normally expected amount of time needed to consume and enjoy a drink (like maybe they are really nursing it or they are just camping out to people watch, enjoy entertainment, or waste some time) then they should leave extra. Sort of like ';rent';.





There are many opinions on tipping. This is just mine. I%26#39;m sure others will chime in here and tell you that tipping is out of control, not necessary, should never be expected, extortion, and you should just do what your head and heart tells you.





I can assure you that waitstaff are not paid a living wage, not even close to one. Bartenders, on average, make a better hourly wage than servers.





If restaurants upped server%26#39;s wages in order to compensate for doing away with tipping at their establishment, the customers would be paying a LOT more for drinks and food. I consider it as part of the cost of dining out. If tipping were done away with, and if food prices went up to pay for the servers additional wages, I%26#39;d still have to pay one way or the other. If there were no tips and poor wages to boot, there would be no one wanting to work as a waitperson. It is not an easy job. It requires something of a decent personality and some people skills, a good memory and a quick step.





Just trying to explain how it works, for me only. Travelers from NZ and Australia are notorious all over the world as nontippers. I say, ';When in Rome (etc-you get the picture)';. If I go to NZ and Australia I will be happy to never lay down a tip, if that is the expected protocol in those particular areas of the world. That is not the way it works in the USA, an adequate tip is the expected norm.






Personally I want to thank you for taking the time to think about tipping, especially when you come from a country that it is not the norm.





I agree with what the others have said. If you sit at the bar and order a drink for yourself and it is $5.00, I usually tip a dollar or two. If I ordered a drink at the bar for myself and another person and it was $10, I would ususally leave $3.00. It helps to insure better service and honestly, they are working people and rely on tips. I would do the same for a waitress if i was sitting at a table in the bar area. If you sit at a table in the bar and a waitress waits on you and you order food as well, when you get the check, 20% of the total of your bill is acceptable.





Also, when you are in a restaurant, although the standard tip used to be 15% for your waiter or waitress, it really is more common now to tip 20%. Waiters and waitresses have to share their tips with the bartenders, busboys and sometimes tip out the hostesses who seat you.





Alo remember to tip car valets, bellboys at your hotel and the maid if you are staying in a hotel. Approx. $3 to $5 a day for the housekeeper/maid is appropriate. If you just leave the money in an obvious place (the bathroom where the money would not normally be) it is always apprecaited, as they work for minimum wage.





Just a few pointers!




Thanks for your replys - im all for tipping - that means i get the next drink quicker!




Rich Americans always tip 20-30% no matter what. Even is the service is no good. Sad..%26#39;[]%26#39;




Pago,



Soooo not true. I have no problem leaving a tip according to service, friendliness, ect. I have no problem letting a server know if I received bad service or if I constantly have to ask ';could you find my server please'; 3 or more times after waiting a reasonable amount of time. But I will also tip accordingly if the server has made me feel like ';man, I can%26#39;t wait to go back there';. Knowing a good night of tips depends on how they serve you, you would think they would do whatever it takes to achieve that. Also, it%26#39;s there job. One reason I could never be a waitress. I%26#39;m not one to take a bunch of crap from someone with a smile on my face and remain pleasant. I would probably get a 5% tip a night. I definately have the utmost respect for good servers, bartenders and waitresses.




Sparkle -- Scroll down through the past week or so on the general Hawaii Forum. There are at least two other active posts on the same issue.




If you sit at the bar, then you tip the bartender. If you sit at a table and a waiter/waitress delivers the drink then you tip them. NOT both!





20% is too much for drinks-only service imo. I tip $1 per drink regardless of where I sit, how it gets to me, or how much the total bill is :) suze

No comments:

Post a Comment