Friday, March 23, 2012

Help?

Hi,





From Vancouver, Canada, I%26#39;ll be traveling for the first time to Honolulu at the end of May, staying at the Best Western Coconut Hotel. I%26#39;m just worried about a few things - being a solo female traveller:





1) Bugs, ie cockroaches, bed bugs, etc. in my room.



2) Safety: is the area sketchy? hotel?



3) I%26#39;ll be arriving at the Honolulu airport at about 11 pm at night. What would be the best/safest way to get to the Coconut hotel?





I understand that it%26#39;s a tropical area and that there%26#39;ll be more bugs than what I%26#39;m used to here in Vancouver, but I just need to know what to expect. I don%26#39;t think that I can handle bugs in my room at the hotel. Anywhere else, I guess I can tolerate.





Advice needed and appreciated.....thanks a lot! Happy traveling!







Cheers,



S



Help?


No one can guarantee you won%26#39;t see a bug in your room I have stayed at one of the budget hotels in Waikiki and have never seen a bug they are very dilligent about bug control but then i%26#39;ve seen posts on here about people seeing a bug in a high end hotel room so no guarantees sorry.



As far as the location it%26#39;s not bad it%26#39;s across the street from the Ali Wai canal so it%26#39;s not real close to the beach but a walkable distance and as far as safety I wouldn%26#39;t be walking around in the middle of the night but have never felt unsafe on Kalakaua or Kuhio the two main streets in Waikiki.



There are a lot of good deals on hotels there now so you could find something closer to beach. I will also be there end of may with my daughter and we are staying at the Wyland Waikiki splurging a little since the rates are so good as I said we usually stay at a budget hotel and I got a 1 bedroom there for a good rate and my daughter is 20 so she likes her own sleeping space.



Best way to get there is either taxi or shuttle.



Aloha Marie



Help?


Here%26#39;s a link to a map of waikiki that shows location of the coconut.



www.spotlighthawaii.com/



click on Oahu Gold and then the island maps link and choose Oahu and then the Waikiki walking area map.



It is listed as the Aqua Coconut Waikiki on here which is the name it used to be but is still operated by Aqua.



Marie




www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html





Here%26#39;s a good map. I think you can do much better. Check out the Princess Kaiulani or the Sheraton Waikiki for starters.





Personally, I wouldn%26#39;t stay there.




The AlaWai canal is not a place to be after dark.... and being singel and female....aint good there....



They have have a lot of problems over the years with drugs, homeless etc. Folks living under the bridges like trolls......





At 11 pm.... a cab $45.00 is the only way to go. Dont think the shuttles trun that late.





The rule ot thumb is that the less you pay for a room, the more problems you are likely to encounter, from poor rooms. pests, location, etc.




Bed bugs are totally unacceptable for any hotel so if you see any go and complain. There aren%26#39;t hoards of cockroaches in Hawaii. You may see the occasional one which you can flush down the toilet or you may see none at all. They don%26#39;t bite so nothing to worry about.





It%26#39;s safe taking a taxi or shuttle at night but I%26#39;d recommend a taxi. The shuttle may take a really long time to get to your hotel since they make many stops, and you%26#39;ll already be tired from the flight.





Downtown Waikiki is pretty safe at night especially with all the tourists out enjoying the night air.




$30 - $35 by cab.





Shuttle $9 one way or $15 roundtrip.





The area is safe except for after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment