Friday, March 23, 2012

Spamfest, etc.

1. Some of the most valuable real estate on the planet was used to celebrate one of its lowliest food products, as Kalakaua Ave was closed from Royal Hawaiian to Kaiulani Saturday evening for Spamfest. Quite a turn-out, with a strong showing by local residents.





Tried the “Spamghetti” by Gordon Biersch and the “Spam Sliders” by Cheeseburger Waikiki. Stayed away from some of the other ones…I’m sure PF Chang’s offering was tasty, and it smelled pretty good, but well, it looked like a ball of spam on a lettuce leaf. The music was loud, which is typically the main requirement at a street fair.





Was I the lone Honolulu resident who noted the “only in Hawaii” irony of having a orgy in celebration of the most god-forsaken, porkiest product in the world on Saturday followed on Sunday by the Downtown party for Israel Independence Day? (Nothing against Spam, but the Jewish/Middle Eastern food was better.)





2. Without question, the two hottest spots in Honolulu are the YardHouse and Cheesecake Factory. They are packed seven nights a week with dozens of parties typically waiting to get in. I wish I owned them. Sure, they may be “chains”, but they are still good, attract a fair share of local business (particularly the YardHouse), and we are happy to have them. You can’t go wrong serving beer or deserts. The YardHouse happy hour, til 5:30 PM, is the best value in Waikiki. Beers $3 to $4 and half-price on their great pupus. We went last Wednesday and are going to head over this afternoon.





3. If one wants to sample the most interesting, diverse, totally authentic food on Oahu, you have got to visit the Maunakea Marketplace food court in Chinatown. Unbelievable selection of true “village” type food, not Americanized, real dishes made from the real ingredients. Thai, Vietnamese, Filipino, Japanese, Chinese, Lao, Indonesian. Some stuff you have NEVER seen before (and may not want to try), but plenty of exquisitely prepared and intriguing foods. It’s pretty darn cheap, too. Had some bizarre Filipino stew (really tasty) and lumpia (what cholesterol?).





4. No walk around Waikiki is complete without a trek through the incredible tree tunnel along the ewa/westerly side of the Ala Wai Canal, between Kalakaua and Ala Moana, next to the Convention Center. The massive trees, stonework, wide promenade, center waterfalls, blue-green canal, amazing architecture, at 80 degrees with azure skies as a backdrop is something not to be missed.



Spamfest, etc.


We would love to be able to attend Spamjam one year my husband is quite the afficianado of this pork product but I agree with you middle eastern food is better in fact I just made homemade tahini sauce last night to go with our grilled chicken in pita.



Definitely want to try the food court in the Maunakea Marketplace next month I went in there our last trip but didn%26#39;t eat there. Like to also try the Yardhouse especially for happy hour but we have Cheesecake Factories here and it%26#39;s ok but too crowded and too big of a menu my husband says it takes too long for me to decide when the menu is that big.



Thanks for the report on the festival and I will be posting another thread about the TA get together for end of may after the first of the month.



Marie



Spamfest, etc.


hey amberloo,





Wish a had a piece of Yardhouse, the local one in Irvine has a bar that is easily twice the size of waikiki and it is 2 deep every night. Their food is good, they put the bar in the center, and they play good music is what I figured.




Amberloo: I must compliment you on your report. It has facts and information, not ';I did this'; or ';I did That'; stuff that is soooo booring that so many people write.Actually worth reading, and informative. Thank you! Chuck...




I have, in the past, attended the Spam Cookoff at the Delaware State Fair. Only in Hawai`i? Piffle.




PZP...





You need to read CAREFULLY before you start making insults.





It%26#39;s not the ';Spamjam'; (I hate that name) which is ';only in Hawaii';, it was the juxtaposition with the Jewish festival the next day.





I guess you didn%26#39;t catch the irony either.




Insults? Hey, amber, you know I%26#39;d never knowingly insult you. :p





You%26#39;re right; it%26#39;s rather ironic.




Ah Spam.





I was asked to bring a case of it with me to Europe, along with a jug of Aloha Shoyu for one of my friends that%26#39;s an ex-pat from Hawaii.



At least it left a lot of room in my suitcase to buy goodies. They were confused, as I bought them the lowered fat Spam. They wanted the industrial strength stuff.





The Yard House is a brew lover%26#39;s paradise. They have good food too. I like to sit at the bar and watch the bartenders run around and find and pour the different beers. It%26#39;s interesting to see what people choose. When I saw one going in on Lewers I was thrilled. I figured it would be a hit but I have not been in since it opened. What kind of wait is it usually?





The last time I waited for a table at The Cheesecake Factory it was about 90 minutes. I got frustrated and walked away, forgetting that I had the beeper in my bag. The beeper went off at my hotel and was creating quite a racket. I put it in the emergency escape stairwell at the Outrigger to get away from the noise. I know, bad girl, bad girl, whatcha gonna do.




';I put it in the emergency escape stairwell at the Outrigger to get away from the noise. I know, bad girl, bad girl, whatcha gonna do.';





Oh, I don%26#39;t know, amy, maybe take it back? Chuck...




It woke me up at something like 3 AM and I was asleep. They must be programmed to go ballistic if not returned. I learned my lesson, return the darn thing. Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment