Monday, April 23, 2012

Solo trip to Kaui

I%26#39;m a female in my early 30s and will be taking a trip to Kaui in June. Though it%26#39;s for a wedding that some family members will be attending, I anticipate staying longer than the others, finding my own accomodations, and turning it into more of a vacation than the rest of my family will.

Any suggestions on what part of the island or where to stay for a single girl on what%26#39;s essentially a solo vacation? Though I like to kind of do my own thing, I%26#39;d like to be somewhere I can interact with others my age.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Solo trip to Kaui

Where is everyone else staying?

Solo trip to Kaui

There are some threads about females traveling solo.

It will depend on where the wedding is. I would say the safest bet is the Marriott in Lihue or Hyatt Hotel.

I know a solo female guest who stayed at HBR last year and she wrote a review on it. She felt very safe on the North Shore. In June I would go to the North Shore for the best ocean conditions and shear beauty. Just don%26#39;t camp. Jam1961 is a solo traveler and I%26#39;m sure has some words of wisdom.


I would stay at Hanalei Bay Resort in a one bedroom or loft unit with a kitchette. ';Jebett'; can help you with that. It is absolutely beautiful in June and I think Hanalei is a fun town to hang out in and meet people your own age. HBR is a very nice complex.

ALSO, the folks in the lobby are extremely friendly and personable. When you check in, you can let them know that you are traveling alone. They will at least keep an eye on you, just in case. As much as I love the Hyatt, it is a large complex and the folks at reception or concierge may not notice you. I toured HBR last summer with my family and I was extremely impressed on how friendly everyone was, including the wait staff at The Happy Talk Lounge and the shuttle driver. You can hang out at the pool and meet folks, as well. As a single female, you need to take a few extra precautions when traveling alone, no matter where you are. Let people know where you are going and when you%26#39;ll be back.

I traveled to Maui alone when I was 18 and I did not take these precautions. I felt a bit lost during the trip, ran out of money and finally went home feeling a bit underwelmed.


I suggest you look at www.hanaleisurfboardhouse.com

I stayed there and really enjoyed it. One block off the beach, very cute and very well run.


Jebett is correct. I have been to Kauai several times as a solo traveler. I think for the time of year you are visiting, the North Shore would be your best bet. The town of Hanalei is a fantastic place to be among people, whether they are locals or other visitors. You%26#39;ll find everyone to be extremely pleasant and friendly too. Though I%26#39;m a 40 something male, I have never encountered anything but friendly folks on Kauai. The Hanalei Bay Resort is a great place to stay. It is in Princeville, and it has a huge pool and a second smaller pool, and a very nice jacuzzi. I highly recommend it, but definitely rent through a private owner (Jebett%26#39;s unit always receives outstanding reviews and I%26#39;m hoping to stay there some day.) My only caution to you, and I take this seriously myself even as a solo male traveler - while it%26#39;s good to let your guard down and relax, just be aware of your surroundings at all times and don%26#39;t go into areas alone where you feel even slightly uncomfortable. I love going to isolated beaches, for example, but if I%26#39;m alone and there is nobody else around, I won%26#39;t get in the water above my ankles. Never hike alone on an isolated trail either. Should you get hurt, it may be hours before someone finds you. Even with a cell phone, there might not be service in some of the more remote areas. Above all, relax, have fun, and stay safe. :-)


I agree with jam1961 that Hanalei is a great place to be among people. One only needs to spend one morning at Java kai to realize how awesome people are on the North Shore.


Thanks so much for all of the great advice. The wedding itself will be on the north shore while the rest of the family is staying at Plantation Hale, I believe. Wasn%26#39;t necessarily planning on staying in the same place, though the price is tempting.

I%26#39;ve since realized that my dream at this point is to have an ocean front rental. That%26#39;s kind of my ideal relaxation spot. I%26#39;ll have to check to see if the places all of you suggested offer that sort of room. Otherwise, if you have any additional suggestions, I%26#39;d appreciate it!

  • howtogetevenwithyourex
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment