Monday, April 23, 2012

Bringing dry goods to save $$

I am starting to get organized (leaving on the 25th!! YAY) and was thinking of packing a few dry goods (spices, sugar, condiments etc). I already have these things at home and I dont want to have to buy whole new packages for only 10 days (trying to budget due to $$). I have done this before from Canada with no problem, but this time we are flying from Seattle. Should I anticipate any problems at the border or SeaTac??



Bringing dry goods to save $$


I would put them in bags, labeled and then put the bags into a small container (suggest this to avoid any potential mess). As long as it is dry stuff there should be no problem at all.



Bringing dry goods to save $$


I would think as long as you don%26#39;t try to put them in your carryon you wouldn%26#39;t have any problems.




Hi-You can pretty much pack anything in your checked bag, which I presume that is where you are going to put it. If you are thinking of your carry on, anything that is liquid, jelled, must be no more than 3 oz. and must fit into a quart size baggie.





I always packed spices, some cereal, tea bags, baggies, little things that I knew I would want, but didn%26#39;t want to buy them over here and then have to take back home. Besides some condos don%26#39;t even have salt! You can always leave stuff for the people who come into clean after you%26#39;ve left.




I always pack baggies of spices, sugar, etc then put them all in a small plastic glad-lock container in my checked baggage. I fly out of Seattle and have never had a problem. Since you are crossing the border you might want to label them, of course they may take your oregano anyway! :-)




Thanks everyone. Good point Mamma maybe I should be careful of the dried parsley too!! LOL




If you are staying in a Condo, there is a strong possibility that Kitchen staples (some not all) will be provided for you.



Along those lines, I would ziplock all the dry stuff, and then try to use those semi disposible Glad-Ware tubs to use as storage containers for the dry goods, then also as storage containers/bowls etc while here.



Kids could use them to transport small toys and crayons and stuff or as sand castle molds while here.



You could donate the ones you do not want to the next guest of the condo.



I have actually used what I suggest with great success to bring over a certain BBQ Sauce etc that come in glass bottles.



I would bubble wrap them , then ziplock them, then fit em in a GladWare container and it worked seamlessly.



You can also start hoading up the single servings packets of Ketchup/mayo/tartar/soysauce/salt/pepper/hotsauce.



From Various sources.



They travel well





What would we do without ZipLocks??? ahhhhhh




I am so glad I am not the only one doing this! We leave Feb 1st and I have started to put things together. My husband thinks I am crazy but I hate to waste things. So what if I put a few pieces of aluminum foil in a zip lock bag? Or spices? I happen to love dill and seasoned salt in my scrambled eggs. Since we will be eating most breakfast foods at our condo, I want to make sure I have this. I don%26#39;t need a lot, I just want some with me. We are also going to cook out steaks... so I want some things with me to season those.





We rented a place on the beach last year with a kitchen on Oahu. We had to buy all this stuff and threw a bunch of it away. I definately didn%26#39;t want to drag it all back!





We are staying at the Maui Ocean Club in the new villas with a kitchen. I seriously doubt they will let us leave anything behind and all will be thrown out before the next guests check in.




We wished we would have brought condiment packets on our recent trip. Even the small bottles that are sold in the grocery stores are big bucks. Consider, mustard, ketchup, definately mayo, relish, soy sauce, sweet sour sauce, jelly, pancake syrup...




Our condo reservation informed us that all condiments are removed ';for our protection';. My guess is that their lawyers suggested this so that if you got sick because something spoiled or was tainted, you cannot sue the condo owner or management company.





Bringing along some small packets would probably be a good idea. Bringing along a 5 lb sack of flour or sugar doesn%26#39;t make any sense, as you might run afoul of the airline%26#39;s weight policy. It%26#39;s also a good idea if you have any ';specialty'; seasonings that you probably won%26#39;t be able to find there.




Forgot to mention this great web-site www.minimus.biz tons of mini products for traveling. It%26#39;s amazing all the teeny weenie products you can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment