Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dress code Abc's in Waikiki

I%26#39;ve been to Oahu 4 times and only one time did my DH take a sport coat...not needed. My mom and stepdad are going to be in Waikik for 5 days/nts., are in their 80%26#39;s, and are from the era that tells them to not leave home without the proper clothing.



What kind of restaurant would they encounter that would absolutely require a jacket for him, and a dress for her?



They may only eat one time in an extremely fancy place. For the most part, they will do casual. I have told her to plan on casual. DH and I have never done the high end stuff, so we never pack that type of clothing.



Thanks for any help.



Dress code Abc's in Waikiki


La Mer at Halekulani is the only one I can think of that is the dressiest. From their website: ';Long-sleeved collared shirt or jacket required for gentlemen.';





For all other fancy restaurants a collared shirt for man and a sun dress or dress pants and nice blouse for woman would be fine.





Do they have any place specific in mind?



Dress code Abc's in Waikiki


Nothing specific. My mom is always worried that she will be under-dressed! She never is. I%26#39;m trying to convince her to relax about Hawaii. I%26#39;ve told her it%26#39;s casual. However, I will inform her that if they plan on going very high-end for a dinner, that they might be a bit more dressed up.



Thanks.




My DH %26amp; I are in our sixies, and we used to take all the bells and whistles to Hawaii, as we traveled with others who liked to dress up. Not anymore! You simply don%26#39;t need to. With all the fine restaurants that are happy with you in a collared shirt and dressy sportswear/dress, why bother taking all the stuff to get fancy? Doing that for one restaurant is not worth it to me ... Whether it%26#39;s Hawaii or Nantucket now, I go (nice) but casual ... :-)




There is a difference between what is required and what is appropriate. La Mer is one of the few restaurants that requires a jacket in Honolulu, but I like wearing a sports coat to the House Without a Key, Alan Wong%26#39;s, etc. It lends a nice air to the evening and recalls a bygone day when my mother wouldn%26#39;t even go shopping (even grocery) without being properly dressed.




I think you need to have a heart-to-heart chat with mom and dad about the heat. She needs to understand that it will be warm - very warm - and that many restaurants and attractions are open air. She and dad need to pack light cottons or rayon. No wool, no polyester. No panty hose. No ties. If she needs to pick up a couple muu-muu ... great. The bottom line is, most places are fine with shorts/aloha shirts and sandals.




Yes, aloha shirts/slacks, shift dresses are the way to go!!! My husband now has a closet full of aloha shirts that he loves and I bought a long dress w/short sleeves and a mandarin collar that I have worn for several ';dressy'; occasions.





Lots of shirts and dresses at Aloha Swap Meet for great prices, Ala Moana Shopping Center for a little more dressy %26amp; pricey. Your mom can do the shirt/slacks thing too, if she doesn%26#39;t like dresses.





Even when my husband was over there on business, he was told no suits!!!








Aloha!





You might suggest to your dad that if he wears a conservative Aloha shirt to places like House Without a Key or Orchids, etc., he%26#39;ll be more comfortable with his shirt tail tucked in...a subtle difference many tourists often miss.






Pattie-2004: from the title of this post, I thought you were asking the dress code for the ABC stores! :-)




CK 1234 Too funny!




CK - I thought the same thing about ABC.





I don%26#39;t think a couple in their 80s would appreciate our advice - bikini, surf shorts, slippahs. As long as you aren%26#39;t dripping on the floor, you are good to go to ABC.





For the real answer, I imagine a woman of that generation to wear a dress no matter what. My mom is in her 70s and really doesn%26#39;t want ';Advice';. She%26#39;ll pack 10x more and 10x fancier than what is needed. Hey, as long as they%26#39;re happy, let them do it their way.


  • natural make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment