Saturday, April 21, 2012

Kauai with older parents

This November will be our 5th trip to Kauai and the first with my parents, brother, and sister. We are normally quite active with hiking, snorkeling, surfing, and such but this time will be different as my parents are not able to do anything too physical. We%26#39;re staying somewhere in Princeville(I love the NS) so I%26#39;ve given one full day to Waimea Canyon, considering drive times. One other thing they want to do is a Luau. Any suggestions on which one?





I need some ideas for other activities to make their trip great. Keep in mind that they are not a model of fitness nor are they beach bums(Soooo Sad). One activity they would enjoy is the Movie Tour. I WILL be introducing them to Kauai%26#39;s best Mai Tai at Hanalei Gourmet! Kauai is so beautiful that I can%26#39;t wait to share it with my family!!



Kauai with older parents




Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!





I think that the general consensus here (and certainly my opinion as well) is that the Smith%26#39;s Family Lu%26#39;au in Wailua is the best lu%26#39;au on island.





There isn%26#39;t an option that I know about for a lu%26#39;au on the North Shore (where you are staying) as the Princeville lu%26#39;au is not being held since the hotel is being re-done and is closed currently.





As long as you don%26#39;t mind driving here at night, it would probably take you about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to get to Wailua from Princeville - make sure you have a ';designated driver'; that enjoys the



non-alcoholic beverages!





I would say your folks would probably enjoy the Smith Fern Grotto tour as well (I%26#39;m not affiliated with Smith%26#39;s in any way, I promise!) - it is a leisurely trip on a big boat up the Wailua River while they tell you stories of the area and play music and dance hula.



Smith%26#39;s has been doing this for over 50 years and it hasn%26#39;t changed much - a nice, slow-paced trip that your folks (and hopefully you!) would probably enjoy.





The Kaua%26#39;i Movie Tour is a good idea as well!





Malama Pono,



Janet



Kauai with older parents


I%26#39;m sure they would love the Lighthouse and how about a garden tour?



Robert%26#39;s Tours might have some ideas.



http://robertshawaii.com/kauai/




How about a visit to the Kauai Museum. Also to the Hindu Monastery.





3Chihuahuas




It is my understanding that the St Regis will resume their luau when they reopen this summer. I do love Smith%26#39;s though and it is an easy drive. 35 minutes from Princeville.




Take a look at Na Aina Kai Gardens. They are close by on the North Shore. Many point out that it%26#39;s relatively pricey, but they do offer a motorized trolley-type guided tour....covers a great deal of ground with a guide. Intersting gardens with lots of staturary reminiscent of Norman Rockwell and Hummel. You might want to consider others, but the trolley tour is a nice feature for your situation.





Line up the farmers%26#39; markets and the arts and crafts fairs. Kapa%26#39;a is good for that.





As an alternative to the Movie Tour, get the book and take a self-guided tour. If you have been there, you know as much as the Movie Tour will tell you. If several go, the price will be breath taking for value received.





I empathize with your sitaution. We had one visit to Kauai when my wife was hampered by a bad ankle, and we were limited somewhat. Last summer, while dealing with a back problem, I had to cross off several hikes, and found that very frustrating. We could still do beach activities though. To take people who are sedentary and really don%26#39;t care for beaches to Kauai seems to be a real mismatch.





I know Kauai is beautiful, but have you thought that maybe Oahu is a better fit? More sightseeing activities for sure.




How about the chocolate plantation. And the coffee plantation; no walking, and very interesting. Even my hard-to-please stepdaughter liked it.





Also, Kilauea Light. I%26#39;m pretty sure they%26#39;ll arrange to pick you up from the parking lot, although the walk is short and not too bad. A bit uphill, though. You can at least go the the overlook outside.





My in-laws loved the Wailua River trip with Smith%26#39;s even though it was pretty campy.




My mother turned 80 in June and she came to Kauai with us, again. She uses a walker to get around. She wanted to see the Napali Coast so we did the Captain Andy%26#39;s Sunset cruise. They helped her on board and gave her a wonderful seat. They even served her drinks and dinner. The only thing she could not do was navigate the stairs to the restroom but that did not turn out to be a problem for her. The ocean conditions in November may not make it possible for this trip, however. Captain Andy%26#39;s also has a shorter, sunset cruise along Poipu.





She also enjoyed the Fren Grotto trip and the luau at Smith%26#39;s.





We drove out to Polihale for a sunset barbecue (November may not be the best time for this). She was able to walk to the picnic table and over to ther restroom in the sand with her walker.




I have brought my parents and my MIL to Kauai. Separate trips. The suggestions already mentioned here are excellent. You want to find great experiences that are about looking rather than doing. Which is a big switch if you are an active person. My mother and MIL were both using wheelchairs during their visits.





Be sure that your accommodations are accessible. Even if your parents are able to walk, it%26#39;s still easier on them if there are no stairs. Railings and grab bars are helpful to anyone.





My mother loved the Kauai Museum and the Waimea Canyon drive. We stayed in Poipu, so our day long drive was to the north shore. There is so much to see just driving around Kauai, it was a great experience just doing that. They also liked Wailua Falls and the Kilauea Lighthouse.





One thing we learned was that the parents wanted some downtime to just be, so we scheduled a few afternoons free, so they could rest or read or just sit and enjoy the view.





Those trips are a great memory for us all.




My parents have spent 5 weeks in Kauai every spring for the past 12 years. They%26#39;ve also spent time on all of the other islands, including Molokai, but fell in love with and settled on Kauai- my mom loves to walk and loves the beach, swimming, etc - however, my dad is pretty sedentary (except for golf - in a cart!) and doesn%26#39;t even bring swim trunks - he doesn%26#39;t like sand, burns easily and can%26#39;t swim. However, it%26#39;s his favorite trip of the year - he adores the food, the people, the views - there%26#39;s not a square inch of the island reachable by car they haven%26#39;t seen and love, all over the island. The canyon, strolling Waimea cottages, visiting all the shops from Hanalei to Poipu to Kalaheo, museums, asking EVERYONE he meets about indigenous marine life, the types of flowers and trees, etc. Although I can%26#39;t imagine spending MY whole time there in anything other than swimsuit/shorts, it%26#39;s a tribute to Kauai and the people that it appeals to all kinds of travelers. If your parents are still curious, and young at heart, regardless of their physical limitations, they%26#39;ll adore Kauai, too.




Freeny, may I ask what age are your parents? 50%26#39;s, 60%26#39;s, 70%26#39;s? Knowing would make a big difference. Do they have any specific restrictions - like bad knees, etc.? There is such a wide spectrum between not beach bums and elderly! I think we are, in general, taking it for granted that they are quite old..and maybe that%26#39;s not accurate?





I%26#39;d love to get your response - I have this vague feeling they are not much older than my DH and I and we have a fabulous time on Kauai! Let us know - okay?



Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment