Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sunscreen and sportfishing

My husband and I will be coming to the Big Island in mid-March and plan on spending quite a bit of time on the beach and doing some sportfishing. Being from Indiana, I would like some advise on 1) what SPF of sunscreen to bring since I%26#39;m unfamiliar with the ';sun strength'; of Hawaii, and 2) names of reputable sportfishing guides.





Thank you!



Sunscreen and sportfishing


I can%26#39;t help you with the sports fishing but I can help you with the sun block.





Strong!





I use 45+! You are in an area where the sun is very strong and you can burn quickly! I am Irish, a red head, and quite fair. I put on sunblock before we leave our lodging and reapply often. And please do not forget the forgotten places like your scalp and your face and your ears and the tops of your feet if you wear sandals or slippahs!





I personally use Nuetrogena, but that is because I like how it feels, but you have to know how you tan, or not, but please, use sunscreen.





16 days and counting!



Sunscreen and sportfishing


We used SPF 50 anytime we were in the water or on the water. It seems to me you require more being in or around the water. I would go high as to not run the risk of ruining your vacation with a miserable burn. While laying at the pool we wore less SPF and didn%26#39;t have any problems.





As for the Sportfishing, we used Capt Dee Bradford with Highnoon Fishing Charters. His boat is in Kona out of the Honokahau Harbor which is really easy to get to. While we are not serious tournamnet fisherman, he was willing to work with our family on what we wanted out of the experience. I really just wanted my 11 year old son to catch something. He brought in 2 large (what I consider to be large but probably not by marlin terms) tuna himself.





He had great equipment, expensive rods, everything you need to catch the BIG ONE! Check out his website and prices at www.fishingcharterskona.com. We are a family of four who charter a 1/2 day and it was the perfect amount of time for us. We got to see a lot of dolphins playing too as we left the Harbour. It was a really great experience.





Be happy to give you more info if you want to pm me for photos, boat info, harbor info, etc...




You can get burned here even if the sun is not out, so apply the sunscreen generously all the time. Use the green stuff (Aloe) every evening.




I also recommend 45+. I have been quite happy with Neurogena 55 SPF with Helioplex technology (which helps the UVA protecting part of the suncreen remain stable in sunlight). Also, reapply every 1-2 hours. Sunburn is bad, skin cancer can be lethal.




If you plan on doing any snorkeling or swimming in the ocean please consider a chemical free sunscreen. The chemicals in most sunscreens cause damage to coral and fish not to mention it%26#39;s been shown to not be too good for humans either. Here are some links to a couple chemical free sunscreens. We use the Mexitan SPF30 and they also make an SPF50.





www.barnaclekove.com/barnaclekove/mexitan.htm





radiantskinclinic.com/products/…




Aloha DreaminofMaui,





You make a very good point. I have tried a couple of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide products, and the problem is always the thick white coating they leave on your skin. How is the Mexitan?

No comments:

Post a Comment