Saturday, April 21, 2012

Maui Vs Alaskan Cruise--help!!!

I%26#39;m trying to plan my 2009 vacation, I%26#39;m looking for some feedback to help make my decision. We are debating a week long Alaskan cruise or two weeks in Maui. My math has me leaning towards Maui, but I%26#39;m still not sure. We can%26#39;t seem to pick a time although we are thinking that around Thanksgiving of next year might work. Last time we went it was Oct and it was great. Was how does everyone else weigh out their vacation plans? The price is coming out pretty close.Still searching for cheap flights, that could also make a huge difference.





Jen



Maui Vs Alaskan Cruise--help!!!


If you have never cruised Alaska in the summer, I would encourage you to do the Alaskan Cruise. The sights and sounds are incredible. If you are set on a vacation in November, then Maui it will have to be.



Maui Vs Alaskan Cruise--help!!!


We cruised Alaska in May, it was wonderful, the weather was great, we were warned it would be cold. We only did the inside passage, this time I would like to go all the way to Seward. It%26#39;s so tough to decide because our Maui vacation was so wonderful, warm sunny beaches and great snorkling vs cold weather and amazing scenery. How do you pick?--oh if only I could do both.....Oh, and we would probably do Alaska in Aug/Sept...How does everyone else decide? Vacation is so precious....





Jen




Simple answer for me....Maui! One week vacation over two again simple. Warm weather and laid back swaying palms over lots of people `chillin` on a big boat,no thank you.




My husband and I went on the Alaska Inside Passage Cruise May 2008 and loved it. We had beautiful weather and it was a very relaxing vacation. We are going to Maui in April for the 1st time and looking forward to it. We were in Oahu during Thanksgiving 2005 and the weather was nice during that timeframe. This year we chose Maui instead of Spain because of supporting the US ecomomy. Either way you can%26#39;t go wrong with either choice.




We%26#39;ve done both and Maui wins. We did a round trip Alaska cruise out of Seattle and it really was a wonderful trip. The sights were amazing!





But Maui wins...two weeks as compared to 1? A no brainer. Alaska cruises are only from May to September, so that may be a deciding factor for you. Also, I found the prices for an Alaskan cruise were lower than that of a vacation in Hawaii. We paid about $1200pp for a mini suite on a May sailing for Alaska plus airfare...





Hawaii is very special to me and it would take a lot to knock it from it%26#39;s #1 position on my dream vacation list.




Thanks for the help, I still can%26#39;t make a decision. Airfare is so high right now the price to get to Maui compared to 2 years go is almost double. I%26#39;m still weighing out pro%26#39;s and con%26#39;s.





Here%26#39;s my pro%26#39;s 2wks vs 1, warms sunny relaxing beach, beautiful sunsets,not having to get dressed up, and amazing snorkeling, no major con%26#39;s just the price of flights, and the fact that my husband want to drive the road to Hana, and I get really car sick.





Here%26#39;s my Alaska Cruise pro%26#39;s beautiful scenery, being waited on hand and foot, kicking back on a balcony and ordering room service.





My big deciding factor may depend on my Father-Inlaw, he wants to go back to Alaska, he%26#39;s not into to Maui--or any beaches for that matter--there%26#39;s a long story about him on the beach in the Bahama%26#39;s but we better not go there....he%26#39;s getting up there, so I guess I%26#39;ll see how serious he is about Alaska.





Oh and if I could do both--I would but my budget only permits one big vacation a year.





Thanks,





Jen




Have you considered a land vacation rather than a Alaska Cruise? In September my husband and I went on an Alaskan cruise and determined we are not cruise people. I would rather have the independence of doing what I want, went I want versus the luxury of being waited on. I was very put off by how many creative ways the cruise line has to seperate you from your money. I understand that is part of vacation, but I have never experienced this level of marketing.



If you are going with a group, then perhaps cruising would be a better plan. But if you only have yourself to think about, I would recommend the Butt on the Beach in Maui.




Yeah, I have a lot of extra butt right now to put on that beach--so maybe that%26#39;s part of why Alaska has a certain appeal. Maui does motivate me to do something about it, in Alaska, I can bury it under layers of clothes, Maui means major gym time. Still, maybe baby can get back in Maui.







Jen




My cruise to the caribbean is running me as much as my airfare to Maui would have been in June 09.



not one for freezing ,cloudy weather or rain in the north country.




Impossible decision!! You%26#39;re deciding between what I consider the two most beautiful places on the planet! Good luck coming up with a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment