Monday, April 23, 2012

Shark Diving in Maui.

I will be visiting Maui in late June with my girlfriend. We both would love to swim with sharks (no, Im not crazy). I have looked online for cage diving in Maui, only to find that there is nothing. Does anyone know if there are locals that do this non-commercially? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.





Shark Diving in Maui.


It is illegal to chum in state waters, so the guys that do shark encounters on Oahu have to go at least 3 miles offshore to exit state waters. The configuration of Maui/Lanai/Molokai/Kahoolawe would also force this to happen out of Kahului or Hana. No one is doing such a trip.





If you are a certified diver, you have two options, neither involve cages





1) the Maui Ocean Center dive in the shark tank (guaranteed sharks)





2) dive Moko%26#39;honiki Rock on the east end of Molokai (hammerheads %26amp; gray reef sharks mostly, Galapagos sometimes but no guarantees)



Shark Diving in Maui.


If you really want to do the cage dive you have to go to Oahu. But be warned on our trip in 2005 we went to sign up for the cage dive our first day on the island only to be told no due to bad weather. We were there for 9 days and that never changed, but we were there in March when there is more rainy weather than when you are traveling in June. You may want to do a day trip to Oahu, you could also check out Pearl Harbor. When we go on our trip to Maui next year, we are going to fly into Oahu and spend the night, go early the next day to do the shark dive, then fly into Maui later that afternoon. All our friends think we are crazy but I would love the thrill of seeing a shark face to face :) Have a great trip--you will have a blast either way!!




Thanks for the info. Looks like we%26#39;ll just have to make a trip to Oahu. I looked at tickets and they%26#39;re pretty reasonable. A friend of mine used to live in Maui and was telling me that if you go to Makena Beach in the morning, you can see Dolphins swimming and he has seen several Tiger Sharks while swimming.... but Im not sure that I would like to swim there in the mornings, as that is when they feed, but seeing dolphins would be pretty sweet. Is there any truth to this?




Chance of seeing whitetips on the back wall of Molokini. I keep looking for a pair of Galapagos off West Maui, but I haven%26#39;t seen them.




And I worry about keeping the sun%26#39;s rays off of my pink speedo! This seems a bit much.





...maybe you should go film some scenes on the Discovery Channel?





I know I%26#39;d make it special if they would give me time of day! :)




Just a small technical correction....





I did the Northshore Shark Encounters in September 2007. It is NOT a shark DIVE. The cage is always at the surface and all of the people are on snorkel %26amp; mask. No tanks. It is a caged shark snorkel.





That said, it was a good time. That day, 20+ sandbar sharks were around the cage when I first got in. In a few minutes, a Galapagos shark came by for a snack then the Tigers showed up. Three tiger sharks stayed with the boat for over an hour. The time on the boat, while the second group was in the cage, was just as fun since the crew baited the Tigers with pieces of chum and brought them right up to the swimstep of the boat....up close %26amp; personal!




That sounds great! Since we are going to fly to Oahu for a couple days, we%26#39;ll check out the North Shore outfit.... Anybody know how much it costs? As it doesn%26#39;t say on the website. What%26#39;s the easiest and cheapest way to get out to Molokini? I know they do snorkel tours, but if there%26#39;s another way to get out there, I%26#39;d rather do that. Thanks again for all the info.




Oh yeah, where can I get one of those speedo%26#39;s? Just what Hawaii needs, another pastey haole in a hot pink speedo! You give us all hope.




I%26#39;ve been out to Makena Beach aka Big Beach numerous times. Never seen any dolphins. Never saw any sharks either. There was one shark attack at Big Beach a couple of years ago. Took a bit out of the thigh of a young woman who was only wading in knee high water!! The only dolphins I have seen from shore was out at La Perouse and Kapalua Bay. At Kapalua Bay they were out playing with the whales!!




Thanks for the compliment Tommy! I%26#39;m sometimes refered to as ';The Great Pink Hope';. So sorry, I%26#39;m not local enough for you! Scubatimm certainly knows what he%26#39;s talking about and is local. Good luck, be safe and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment