Friday, March 23, 2012

One week to go!

We%26#39;re arriving in Kauai next Wednesday!! We arrive late (7:45pm) and plan to get a rental car, shop for provisions, and head for our accommodations at Moloaa Bay. It%26#39;ll be late (11pm?) for us!





What will still be open in Lihue or Kapaa when we arrive, and where do you recommend shopping? We need breakfast items, beverages, maybe sunscreen and snorkel gear... also Red Bull for DH which I heard may be hard to find and/or very expensive?





Other than that we%26#39;re pretty much settled on not ';planning'; too much. Just finding our way, relaxing and exploring Kauai. If there are any hikes that are a ';must see'; I%26#39;m open to recommendations. (We are both fit %26amp; avid hikers who are used to wet %26amp; steep trails.)





We don%26#39;t eat out much but I will make an effort to at least try as many shave ice stands as I can drag DH to, and hopefully will make it to Puka Dog (!!!). He%26#39;s never been to the islands. (I have family on Oahu so have been there, Big Island and Maui but this is my first visit to Kauai.)





Looking forward to the trip and checking out your beautiful island... soon! Mahalo for your help!



One week to go!


Walmart is near airport and has some grocery items along with sunscreen and some snorkel gear. Not sure if have Red Bull.





As you drive through Kapaa as you head to Moloaa Bay you will pass a Foodland and a Safeway on your left.





If you want feel for grocery prices, you can look at their ads online (they change each Wednesday):



http://www.foodland.com/weekly_ads/



www.safeway.com/ifl/grocery/Weekly-Specials



One week to go!


For the Safeway ad, use zip code 96746.




For the snorkel gear, you might find it easier or cheaper to rent then buy. We rented for the entire family and still spent less then buying it at Wal-mart plus we didn%26#39;t have to try and fit it in the luggage on the way back. Good luck with the Puka Dog. Have fun.




I did all of our breakfast and drink shopping at Walmart this past trip. I spent $7.50 for a gallon of milk last year at Star Market and this year at Walmart it was less than $5.00.





I think I remember seeing Red Bull there too but I can%26#39;t guarantee it.




Safeway is open 24 hours a day and I think Foodland closes at 11 so you%26#39;ll be fine going to either. If you already have a Safeway card use that and for Foodland ask the clerk at checkout for a MAKAI card.



I would recommend the hike to Sleeping Giant which is close to your house. Type in hiking in the search box and many threads will pop up. Denny gives excellent directions to the two trails. You will also be close to Duanes Ono Burger. Those are yummy. For shaved ice try JJ%26#39;s or Wishing Well in Hanalei.



Snorkel Bob%26#39;s in Kapaa rents snorkel gear as do a few places in Hanalei if renting is the way you decide to go. Also the house you%26#39;re renting might have gear so don%26#39;t buy or rent any until you check out what is there.



If you have trouble finding Red Bull (which is a staple for my family too and I buy it on the island) Costco had it last time I checked. RB is expensive anywhere you go. Longs in Kapaa near Safeway had it too.



Have a great trip and please tell us how you liked the area you are staying.




Thanks for posting the Foodland and Safeway papers I started making my list.




Thanks for the circulars, we head out from DC tomorrow morning!





Cheers, RickG




Thanks for the hiking, eating and shopping tips. I will check out the circulars before we head out on Wednesday morning. How did I ever manage before TA? ;-)





One more question - any recommendations for a good-quality lei stand? I usually run to Chinatown/Oahu on the way home since there%26#39;s always been a long layover there but we aren%26#39;t flying through Honolulu this time. My mother loves ginger, so I%26#39;d like to find a micronesia-style ginger lei to bring home as an early mother%26#39;s day gift...





Five days and counting...




Thanks again for the tips. Foodland definitely had better prices... even without the Makai card. Had great Shoyu Poke from the deli. Nice people too!





Sad to be home again so soon, but had a great time in Kauai. Can%26#39;t wait to go back!






Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!





';also Red Bull for DH which I heard may be hard to find and/or very expensive?';





Not true fortunately! - I%26#39;m a sugar-free Red Bull addict myself and you can buy all 3 types of Red Bull, including the new ';cola'; flavored one - at any market on Kaua%26#39;i. The ';cola'; one right now you can buy for $1.69 at most stores.





As far as ';lei'; stands - we don%26#39;t have anything like O%26#39;ahu%26#39;s Maunakea Street - which is why most of us head for Chinatown when we go to O%26#39;ahu! I love to buy the fresh pikake hair combs to wear - heaven!





Out in Anahola on OHA land there are usually several families who sell leis and have signs out - but the days vary pretty widely, so I don%26#39;t know when to tell you to look out there - since it is on your way to Moloa%26#39;a I%26#39;d just keep your eyes peeled for ';fresh leis'; signs in that area.





Other than that - I%26#39;d recommend ';Joy%26#39;s Flowers'; in Kapa%26#39;a - they a long-time business and can be counted on for lovely leis.





Malama Pono,



Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment