Saturday, April 21, 2012

Drink prices at Kona Village Resort

The wife and I are planning a Big Island trip and are trying to get our overall budget hammered out (lodging, food, rental cars, extracurricular activities, etc.).





We will quite likely be splurging on a stay at the Kona Village Resort. I was hoping to get some feedback on what I should plan on paying for beers and cocktails there. I tend to have an indecent amount of drinks on vacation and that stuff can add up! ;)





This will be our first trip to Hawaii, so this may not be the first stupid question I ask. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!



Drink prices at Kona Village Resort


I was there in September so they may have a new price list by now. At that time, complicated drinks like mai-tais were $10, beer was $6.50, and cookie monsters for the kids were $8.





I opt for the automatic %15 tip, so my mai-tais were $11.50. Because my favorite pastime is to sit at the Shipwreck Bar and schmooze with the other guests while sipping my favorite tipple, I figured $50 per day for drinks.





By the way, most of us returnees (which includes 60+ percent of guests!) don%26#39;t bother renting a car. We just take a cab to the Village, and if we want to take a day trip, rent a car through the concierge.





When are you going?



Drink prices at Kona Village Resort


for beers figure 5 to 7@ Wine 7-10



Mix drinks 8-10 Speciality drinks 12 to 15



Same for the sister Four seasons







In Kona



Beer 3-4 Wine 3-4 Mix 5 Specialities 5-8




Thanks for the replies. The prices are, as I figured, enough to add up over the course of a few days. Pending approval from work, our trip will be in the late February/early March timeframe. We were thinking of renting a car from the very beginning to facilitate daytrips, thinking that would be less costly than renting through the hotel (maybe I%26#39;m wrong about that?).





Might consider using the in-room fridge to stock some juice/booze/beer- think that would work out OK?




';We were thinking of renting a car from the very beginning to facilitate daytrips, thinking that would be less costly than renting through the hotel (maybe I%26#39;m wrong about that?).';





Think I just answered my own question here by poking around the KVR website. You can rent through Hertz (they bring the car to the resort) for what seem to be the same prices as with an airport pickup. Sounds like a good option to save a few bucks. Instead of renting a car from the very beginning and maybe only use it a couple of days, just plan specific trips and only rent it then.





Probably will save a lot on the very first day, as we won%26#39;t be travelling anywhere but from the airport to the hotel (a one-way taxi fare is much cheaper than a one-day car rental, I%26#39;d imagine).




I once rented a car, and one day drove in to Kailua-Kona to do some shopping. I was in the mall and went up to the Information Booth to ask a question of the nice lady there. She asked me where I was staying, and when I told her, she said, ';You%26#39;re the first person I%26#39;ve ever met who is staying there! You folks must not leave the Village once you get there.'; True, maam, true.




There%26#39;s a couple ways of doing this. First would be to pay the regular price. If you have a few with lunch and throughout the day, this can get expensive. Second would be to have house keeping order you a six pack of the beer or bottle of scotch of you choice. There is a considerable discount doing this way.





I happen to be a lover of fine wine and the quality of which is not found in any resort on the island. Therefore, I either ship a case in from my favorite retailer on the mainland or I drive to Kamuela Liquors in Wiamea and pick up a case. I find german riesling kabinette or spatlese to be a great match with Hawaii and its climate.





The wife and I usually have a beer or a G%26amp;T at 4 pm while visiting either Rusty or Sid and then cleanup and take a bottle to watch the sunset.





Bill.




You could also go to Costco directly from the airport, stock up and then go to the village.





Bill




wbpiii, would you mind elaborating on this:



';Second would be to have house keeping order you a six pack of the beer or bottle of scotch of you choice. There is a considerable discount doing this way.';





It had not occurred to me that this would be a possibility, but wouldn%26#39;t option 3 be to just pop into town (I%26#39;m a bit of a beer nut and planning on visiting the brewery) and stocking up the fridge myself? Or, is that considered a ';no no';.






Didn%26#39;t notice that you also made the comment about Costco. I think I will just plan on bringing in supplies of my own and hope I don%26#39;t get in trouble.




You%26#39;re not going to get in trouble. As I said, I%26#39;ve shipped a case of wine there. On more than one occassion, my hale fridge has become a mini wine cellar to such an extent that housekeeping can%26#39;t fit any water or guava juice in it.





Believe me, I know more that a few who bring in there own beverages.









Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment