Saturday, April 21, 2012

How rough is the water in Feb, thinking of ferry to Lanai

So i%26#39;m reading the boats, even the superferry can get pretty tossed around.





In Feb could the ride to Lanai be rough? Is it worth a daytrip?





Where does the ferry unload and can we just walk to the beach for snorkeling and a picnic without spending any more $$ other then the trip over %26amp; back?



How rough is the water in Feb, thinking of ferry to Lanai


It really can vary, and there is no way to predict things. Yes, if there is rainy/stormy weather then it will be bad (it is even cancelled those days). The more wind the worse the sea conditions also. Winter is worse than summer, and afternoon is worse than morning. If you are very prone to sea sickness, it would not be a good idea. If you usually do OK on the water, I would take some Dramamine and you should be fine.





Yes, it is very easy to get around from the ferry dock. It is about a 5-10 minute walk from the harbor to Hulopo%26#39;e Beach which is in front of the Manele Bay resort. If you like to snorkel, rent some gear on Maui and bring it along as the snorkeling is usually great right off the beach (and they don%26#39;t have any rentals on Lana%26#39;i). If you are lucky the dolphins will be in the bay that day and you can watch them from shore. The beach is large and uncrowded with a nice sandy bottom in the water. You can body surf and there is also some great tidal pools to explore. You can take the short hike up to Pu%26#39;u pehe (sweetheart rock) overlook with some stunning views. You can also walk up to the resort and check out the stunning lobby and beautiful gardens. If you bring a picnic, the beach is great for this with shade and tables available. Here is a link to the ferry website:





http://www.go-lanai.com/



How rough is the water in Feb, thinking of ferry to Lanai


My wife and I always stay on Lanai%26#39; at the Lodge and have done the reverse trip (to Maui from Lanai%26#39;) that you%26#39;re talking about the last two years, both times in mid FEB. The ride is fine because you are really not in the open ocean like the superferry but surrounded by four islands. Very few people are aware that maui, molokai, lanai and kahoolawe were once the %26#39;big island%26#39;, the center of which collapsed under its own weight millions of years ago. The current Big Island will suffer the same fate someday so make as many trips as you can. This is a long way of saying you%26#39;ll love the ferry, we see more whales on the crossing than on any ';whale watch'; we%26#39;ve ever been on, alot has to do with the boat%26#39;s speed and the distance you%26#39;ll cover and the %26#39;shallow%26#39; water between the islands that the mothers and their calves prefer. mahalo




Would I need to book out in advance for the ferry or could we decide when we get there. . .even if only 4 of us go or all 20 decided to go???




I do have issues with sea sickness. The ride over to Lanai is never a problem since we do it in the morning when the water is calm. The afternoon return is a different story entirely. If anyone in the group even thinks they are prone to sea sickness make sure they take their Dramamine before the return and you are prepared to feed the fishes. It%26#39;s definately worth doing - I keep doing it!! Just be prepared. No dramamine and appropriate bag could make for a really miserable experience.




Man oh man Doc always has some great info, and Hoages is right on target with the descrip.





I%26#39;ve been to Lanai one time on the ferry. The morning was super calm and great! We even saw spinner dolphins arriving at Lanai...I think they like to hang out near Sweetheart Rock, because they hope to see something pink...isn%26#39;t that right Doc?





But coming back in the evening (around 6PM or so it was pretty rough water...bounching around. I had to stand up (I was up top) and take some nice sunset pics and it knocked me around pretty bad. Nothing your average dude like me couldn%26#39;t handle. I do well with boat rides and tend to never get seasick....but Swirlz it is not really that bad I%26#39;d say. (I was there in May one year)





Is it worth the trip. H*ll yes! I rented a jeep and explored a bunch of that lovely place.





Only two regrets! I love the place so much wish I had stayed there a couple of nights. Oh yea, Doc was a no show...I was expecting a big huh Doc! You promised (Wink Doc!)




Swirlz, I would not worry about booking far in advance. I have been told that it can rarely sell out, but that is the exception. I would wait till you are on Maui, check out the weather forecast on:





www.hawaiiweathertoday.com





And if things look good for the next day or two (sunny and light winds) then book the tickets at that time. My only other warning is that you may love Lana%26#39;i so much you won%26#39;t want to go back to Maui at the end of the day. :-)





Have a great vacation!





Caddy, your comments always make me smile. Maybe when I was looking out one day and thought I saw a dolphin it was you in your pink speedo. Can you jump and spin?




We took a catamaran in February a few years ago. Calm in the morning and a rolicking sail back in the afternoon. They (Trilogy) fed us a lunch heavy on the ginger. We were all fine.




Swirlz, related to what BLBL said...I think I reserved my ferry ticket a day or two in advance on Maui (over the phone).





Doc, I can%26#39;t jump too high out of the water but when I do, I start spinning like crazy! BTW, that was suppose to be ';I was waiting for a big hug'; not ';I was waiting for a big huh';.





Can%26#39;t somebody talk these TA people into an edit feature for poor typists such as myself.





Go to Lanai Swirls even for a day! You%26#39;ll have a great time; especially just because it%26#39;s NOT Maui. (You need a jeep or two with a large group if you want to get around. I think my day Jeep rental was a bit pricey at $130...and at the one gas station I couldn%26#39;t bargain on the price. LOL!)




i%26#39;m still on the fence about ';everyone'; going but most likely will have a day for just my new hubby and I to go (maybe after everyone has flown back home) we have two extra nights after the kids leave.





We were thinking of parasailing but i hear thats out becuase of whale season so looks Lanai is gonna win.





Whether 2 or 20 i think we%26#39;d just do the walk to the beach, pack a lunch, maybe hike around, but nothing else that cost anything other then the ferry tickets.





This is already almost a $8K trip for us when you include our annual fees for the timeshare, plus the mortage payments :(





this doesn%26#39;t include the cost my dad is paying for my sisters family to go, along with himself and my other sister and step-brother.. . so we%26#39;re at least in it for about $1K each for 20 people. . .and thats before any activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment