Saturday, April 21, 2012

Trip Report-12/11/08 12/18/08

This was my fifth trip to Oahu and the first trip in my life I was greeted with four days of rain. All was not bad because the rain did slow my pace to just enjoy watching the world go by. When the raining stopped we did get to do everything planned.

Aqua Waikiki Beachside Resort-the pluses: located right across Waikiki beach and the package price on Priceline was discounted; the minuses: everything was small including our room, the lobby, the elevator. Parking was $22 a day but if you are willing to walk a few blocks, which we did not hesitate to do, the price drops to $10 per day.

This trip will be one I will not forget because of the marathon, an old and new hike and a cat. We got up extra early and participated in the 10k walk that started at 5:30 a.m. Afterwards, we enjoyed watching the finishers, some in funny outfits, and the local bands that performed. We also walked from the hotel to the top of Diamond Head. This was the third time I have done this and a habit I cannot break. A new hike that our local paper said was one of Obama%26#39;s favorite and now is one of mine was the hike to Makapu%26#39;u Point Lighthouse. No wonder I have never hiked it-there is not sign about the lighthouse at the start of the trail. Finally, another must do is a ride on the catamaran, Na Hoku II. For only $25, you relax and enjoy the scenery from the waters beyond Waikiki and they have an open bar!

I could go on and talk about the famous people I met, how to cut food and gift costs but I want to keep this short and am willing to answer questions about any of the above. Mahalo.

Trip Report-12/11/08 12/18/08

We must hear about the famous people!!! WHO, WHO, WHO??? May I ask what you got the Beachside Resort for on Priceline? Thanks for the report ... glad the trip was great!

Trip Report-12/11/08 12/18/08

Hello,

We will be there at the end of May for 11 nights for our honeymoon and I would like to know how to cut food costs. We have purchased the Entertainment book which will help quite a bit. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Oh, and we would also like to know the famous people that you met! :)


Okay, as to the famous people we met: first, at the marathon expo, in person and signing autographs were marathoners/atheletes Frank Shorter, Alberto Salazar and Greg Meyer! All record setters!

Next, walking by a mall we saw a radio station with their prize wheel and standing there was none other than Famous Amos! He was promoting his Chip and Cookie store located in the mall. Very nice man.

Next, in the same mall%26#39;s food court we saw the performance of local Hawaiian Raiatea. Beautiful voice!

Last but not least I just picked up my developed photos and there I am sitting on one of the benches near Duke%26#39;s statue, with Santa Claus and one of his elves! After all, it was Christmas! Say hi two those guys if you happen to see them. They might be gone but you never know.

I read that Obama was going to be in Hawaii during the holidays and looked for him but we were gone before he showed up.

(I will suggest how to cut food costs separately.)


Our package included airfare from California, with a stop in SF going and LA coming back, since there is no direct flight from the center of California, 7 nights at the Aqua Waikiki Beachside, and a compact car for the week for the total price of $747 per person. I cannot say how much of that cost is for the hotel but I can say of all the places I have stayed it has the best location but it was my least favorite hotel. Since it was raining for half of the trip it was nice to walk out the door and next door was an ABC store or a few doors down was McDonald%26#39;s. The coffee at Mac%26#39;s is good and tastes the same here, there and everywhere with one of the best views in the world!


Okay, on a honeymoon and you want to save $$ on food? okay, I didn%26#39;t buy an Entertainment book; however, they will let you print up to three free coupons. My friend and I printed 3 each and used some of them.

If you really want to be frugal, you could go to Costco because their food and prices are the same in Honolulu which means a hot dog %26amp; soda for $1.50.

I must again recommend the $25 cat ride. The adult beverages are included in the price and the crew was not being stingy.

A great breakfast deal is Moose McGillycuddy%26#39;s. You can find 2for1 coupons in the tourist mags and the day we had breakfast there they were handing them out as we approached the restaurant/bar.

Of course, if you have time to go to Longs Drugs, Safeway, or any other regular store, you can find great prices for Hawaiian coffees, chocolate covered macadamia nuts, beer, snacks, etc. Stock up and save, save, save! I could go on but you get the idea.

  • actually make a decision
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment