Sunday, April 15, 2012

Translation, please!

I was wondering if anyone/everyone could please translate this for me into Hawaiian (I am getting married in Kauai in a couple weeks and want to engrave this on my fiances ring). I tried to find it on-line, but didn%26#39;t get a clear translation. Thanks in advance for all your help!





LOVE ME, LOVE MY ANIMALS



Translation, please!


Sorry I can%26#39;t help you but that%26#39;s such a cool idea. I would think that Janet will be able to help you when she checks in here.



Translation, please!


I have found lots of useful info on trip advisor, and noticed that locals sometimes reply and was hoping someone who knows the language could help me! I can%26#39;t wait to go! 11 days to go! Thanks for your relpy, I hope Janet reads this!




PM Janet and pzp. Sometimes they don%26#39;t read their email every day.




I think PZP is taking classes, so her instructor may be able to help as well.




That is a hard one. I could guess, but I%26#39;d likely be wrong. When I am in doubt of a proper phrase I always check with the University of Hawai`i Hawaiian language department, especially if you are engraving this on a wedding ring. You don%26#39;t want his ring to ';I love you, you love fish.';





www.olelo.hawaii.edu





click on Ike Ho‘oka‘a‘ike on the left.




Kai -- that translation would work for DH%26#39;s wedding ring! (Kidding!)




You want to give your loved one a ring that says ';love me, love my animals.';





Just how many animals do you have ? Cats , dogs, gerbals, hamsters, pythons, pet goats, parots, pot bellied pigs, etc.





I did find the word for zoo:





kahua ho%26#39;ike%26#39;ike holoholona laka%26#39;ole





Love; We generally use Aloha, but there are a few others:





%26#39;ano%26#39;i, nipo, kauna, ho%26#39;oipoipo, puni





If you only have a few cuddly critters %26#39; animal%26#39;



is: holoholona





Me: is A%26#39;u





my: is O%26#39;u ( plural possessed object )





So there you have it....just chose the words that you wish, and done deal.





The dipththongs %26#39; are important, so relate that to the engraver.





such as : A%26#39;u = me. %26#39;au = to swim, or travel by sea.





O%26#39;u =my , where %26#39;ou= project, puncture or protrude.





ou = your





so, there is much to the hawaiian language,that can be confusing to those not familar with it.





';love to swim with your protruding puncture '; ain%26#39;t going to get it.





Check that engravers delicate use of dipthongs.





Denny




Why not just the word ';Kuuipo'; (';sweetheart';)




Don%26#39;t try to do this without consulting a native speaker. (I%26#39;ve emailed my kumu hula for you.) You could come up with something totally unrelated to what you want. You%26#39;re looking for an imperative - ';(you must) love me, (you must) love my animals.





I%26#39;d go with ku`uipo.




Agree with the ';sweetheart'; , or at least something that shows some love and affection for the other person.





A very special phrase that might also be appropriate for some folks would be:





'; Me ke aloha pumehana -Mau loa





(With love and fondness - forever)





That is what we find Kauai is. An aloha island, with special beauty, and special freindships. Lots of heart.





However, each to their own wise decisions on their own lifestyles.





Denny

No comments:

Post a Comment