Saturday, April 21, 2012

Trip to BI in 2009 questions - Kolea, Mauna Lani, etc.

We are returning to the Big Island towards the end of 2009 for the holidays... Yes, I know this is way early, but I believe in advance planning! :-) In this case, I want this trip to be extra-special, as we are bringing our sons, ages 16 %26amp; 24, for their first trip to our favorite place in the world!! We have visited the BI a couple of times so am familiar with many areas, etc.





Kolea -- is it worth it? I%26#39;d love to hear opinions. What I love Kolea is the finish level of the condos, and the private bbq grills (this is impt. to us, as we enjoy cooking!) on the lanais. However, Kolea is pricey, and I don%26#39;t know that paying the extra to have such close proximity to the beach would be worth it for us, as the beach is a small(but enjoyable) part of our vacation -- so many things to experience on the island, I hate to miss by sitting on the beach the whole time! Also, I believe I saw something on tripadvisor about a berm being built up in that area of beach in winter to combat the high surf?





Mauna Lani -- The condos seem to have a high finish level, tasteful decor and bbq grills on the lanai. I know we won%26#39;t have an ocean view, except at areas in the resort that are outside of what we%26#39;re willing to pay, but I do like the fact that when want to go to the beach, the resort has a beach club. Does anyone have any recommendations on rental agencies that handle Mauna Lani condos?





Also, does anyone have any other condo complex recommendations (did look up Hal%26#39;ii Kai, but no BBQs, except on lower level) that are similar to what Kolea and Mauna Lani have to offer?





Okay, now for VRBO... I%26#39;ve seen opinions, pro and con, on this forum. I am a very cautious person and have never used VRBO. If I decide to go this route, I would be sure that I paid with credit card, I would be sure that the unit was covered with the guarantee provided by Homeaway, and I would be sure to get a unit on which the owner had the appropriate tax number and paid their taxes.





The reason I bring up VRBO is that I have seen a huge discrepancy between the couple of agencies I looked at for Mauna Lani vs. the avg. price on VRBO. Using a Fairway Villas unit as an example, I found several units with very attractive weekly rates, and the two agencies%26#39; units were double the cost for a week as many (with very positive feedback comments) on the VRBO site. Interestingly enough, I can get a 2BR at Kolea through an agency for less than a 2BR Fairways at Mauna Lani through an agency. When I looked at VRBO for Kolea, I didn%26#39;t see that vast of a price difference, so I am understandably confused. Maybe I haven%26#39;t found the right agencies?





If anyone has an agency they have used for Mauna Lani that was reasonable, as well anyone who used a VRBO owner they have had a positive experience with, I%26#39;d appreciate you passing it on to me!





Thanks for all! The advice on this forum as for best experiences, etc. has been right on in the past (Dolphin Discoveries (snorkeling) and Napaala Stables (Waipio ride) were great and will be repeated on this trip!





Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment