Thursday, April 19, 2012

What's Up With Hawaiian Airlines?

Got an e-mail from them yesterday about new fares from certain cities (except Los Angeles of course) and decided to take a look. They%26#39;ve really lost their marbles between March 14th and April 19th, when LAX-LIH is a whopping $800 or more. I can book the same flights on United or American for $500 r/t, and I called Hawaiian to see what they thought of that. They could have cared less, and tried to offer me a $1,000 fare over the phone. Phhttt....





Aloha United Airlines!!!





So much for five years of frequent flying with Hawaiian, lol.



What's Up With Hawaiian Airlines?


wow weird! They have been advertising really cheap fares from Seattle.





By the way..hi Kwils



What's Up With Hawaiian Airlines?


Amazing...under $350 round trip from Seattle on Hawaiian to OGG!




I went to book our flight to LIH for May and just in two days the ticket fare went up $100 each. Thought I would be okay to wait a couple more days til we secured a house...yikes! The only thing is that Hawaiian has the nicest schedule if you are flying out of LAX so I guess we%26#39;ll pay the piper!




$289 from Seattle to LIH on Hawaiian, leaving midweek march. I almost quit my job! We%26#39;re not scheduled to return until June, and there%26#39;s no Kauai Withdrawal Clinic in Seattle. $289 sounds like a cheap fix.




For Hawaii magazine readers, Page 30 of the February 2009 edition explains the airfare costs and why they are not coming down as fast as gas prices are dropping.





In a nutshell, airlines purchase jet fuel contracts in advance to protect themselves when gas is escalating. Contracts were purchased at a higher fuel price several monthes ago so airlines have to charge the extra airfare to make a profit. I%26#39;ve read several analyists saying that fares should begin dropping in apr or may.




To fly out of oakland it is half the price of flying out of san diego during early april. explain that one to me???




freeny -- not all the airlines are hedged or hedged to any great extent (maybe 20%). They%26#39;re just trying to make some money which is the goal in the end.





As for Hawaiian. This reminds me of when Eastern Airlines went down in the 80s. Delta was great before, but when their biggest competitor at Hartsfield went away, they got complacent and flying with them became a crappy experience.







there are some amazing fares out there though. $220 one way SF to Frankfurt???!!! Dead of winter, but still.




With the economy in the shape that it is, airlines will need to act in the way of the auto dealers. Offer deals or your sales will suffer! Either offer $500 dolar airfare and sell 300 tickets or offer $1000 airfare and sell 150 tickets. Same bottom line but what improves consumer satisafaction.




My wife and kidlet flew LAX-LIH yesterday and it cost about $700 each, sheesh. Hawaiian has stopped (at least on that particular flight) offering three meal choices. You have your choice of one meal now. It%26#39;s still free, but I wonder if this is the beginning of the writing on the wall for Hawaiian?





I think I%26#39;m done with them for now. I know they%26#39;ve been making hay while the sun was shining after the demise of ATA and Aloha, but this is ridiculous. The only bad part is, I really don%26#39;t like United or American.





Grrrr....




Just so you don%26#39;t feel singled out, San Diego was left off of the sale list as well. I wonder why. (Although I bet that they are at near capacity out of those two cities).

No comments:

Post a Comment