Saturday, April 21, 2012

Driving to Hana with 3 year old

I have read previous postings that advised not taking toddlers to Hana. However, we are still attempting to do it with our 3 year old.





We hope it will make big difference if we stay 3 nights in Hana.





Has anyone had a great experience traveling to Hana with a very young child? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.



Driving to Hana with 3 year old


Three nights in Hana? Have you been there before? Do you realize how isolated it is?





It%26#39;s great for a real get-away ... I just want to make sure that you know they lay of the land.



Driving to Hana with 3 year old


My child didn%26#39;t enjoy it as we were going for the journey rather than the destination. That said, the journey pretty much stinks when going both ways in one day stuck in a car seat.





That said, if you are going to Hana for the destination, you will only be driving one way, then doing whatever you want to do when you get there.





Figure it%26#39;s kind of like driving Hwy 1, south of SF for three hours. Try it this weekend and see how you do!





I won%26#39;t comment on Hana itself, as I%26#39;m sure you have done your research and are expecting beautiful calm.




Ask his/her pediatrician about taking a chewable tablet for motion sickness. That%26#39;s gonna be the biggest problem. Either that or carry a bucket. Also, stop a lot. It may take you 2-4 hours to get there with all the stops you%26#39;ll need but do it. Not much to do there but if it%26#39;s peace and quiet and lack of population you are seeking, Hana is the place. My advice with babies, toddlers and younguns is to spend a lot of time taking care of their needs in order to have a fun vacation. Usually that means spending 2-3 hours a day at a swimming pool or next to the ocean with a couple of beach toys in the shade.





Here is a test for you. Drive Skyline Blvd from Half Moon Bay Hwy to the Santa Cruz Hwy and then out to the coast. Drive the speed limit. See how junior responds. Skyline is pretty straight compared to the Hana Hwy but you%26#39;ll get a good idea.




When my husband and I took the road to Hana, we both commented that it would be very dangerous for children especially toddlers. When you get out of the car at the various sightseeing spots, there are no guard rails and because of the thick vegetation, it is hard to tell where the edge of the cliff is located. You can easily walk off the edge accidentally. My husband was taking some pictures and almost fell down a cliff because the vegetation went right up and over the edge. If you do take your child, it would be imperative to hold onto him at all times - and not let him run around. I definitely agree with those who advised against taking young children on the road to Hana.




I really appreciate everyone%26#39;s input and advise.





We were planning for a two week trip in Maui. As I will be hanging out at pool for 10 days with my child, when my husband go kitesurfing, I thought we%26#39;d better venture out to Hana for the rest of the trip.





Now we decided not to go to Hana and stay in Wailea for 10 days. I guess.....my husband and I will have to come back to go to Hana for a ';get-away'; trip.




we tried it 2 years ago with a 5 year old and a 2 year old. They both fell asleep by the time we hit Paia, so we started driving, after about an hour of switchbacks we turned around, it was painful. I felt car sick because I had to spend most of my time looking backwards in the car and talking to my screaming 2 year old who had woken up after about 1 hour on the road to Hana, and wanted to get out of her seat... she got sick in the car and we ended up stopping in Paia, having some ice cream. Paia is a charming little town, and apparently has some great restaurants. I would not venture to Hana again with young children. There are lots of other interesting places to visit without going to Hana. There is no where to stop along the way for a coffee, lunch or anything. So if you go make sure you have some gravol and lots of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment