Thursday, April 19, 2012

Is there a skateboard park on Kauai?

Our boys love skateboarding... just wondering!

Is there a skateboard park on Kauai?

There was---I assume it%26#39;s still there. At least the one I%26#39;m thinking of is in Kapaa---toward the mountains. I don%26#39;t remember the street name, though.

Is there a skateboard park on Kauai?

I guess I could elaborate on it a little---it%26#39;s not fancy and doesn%26#39;t have those deep wells, but it was brightly painted and had lots of small ramps. Looked like the local kids were enjoying it when we went by there.


Thanks! we will check it out!


We drove by it in June when we took the By-Pass in Kapaa. It will be on your right hand side as you travel the By-Pass east bound. It looked pretty nice. The one in Santa Rosa, CA. is much nicer, though.


It%26#39;s at the Kapaa City park. It%26#39;s right next door to where they have the farmer%26#39;s market on Wednesdays. You can drop the boys off there and go do your produce shopping. It%26#39;s definitely not a ';mainland'; park, but I betcha there aren%26#39;t as many nice beach parks per capita on the mainland either. Your boys may make some new friends also!


You better think twice about having having your kids hanging out with locals at a skate park. They most likely won%26#39;t be wecomed. If your kids are small you might be fine but if they are teenagers your asking for trouble.


The skate park is at the Kapaa ';city'; park, but it is not technically on the bypass. Turn mauka (inland) at the only light in the ';old'; town, called Kukui St., next to ABC store. This curves and takes you inland to the roundabout on the bypass. Before you get there, the skate park is on your right, just past the turnoff to the market.

As for the kids there not welcoming teenagers, I don%26#39;t get that feeling. It is conceivable, but I would ask the previous poster to elaborate. In any case, you should probably wait 10-15 minutes in the car to make sure they%26#39;re OK, just as you would anywhere new.


Skate parks are very territorial with teenagers. It%26#39;s no secret that Hawaiian locals don%26#39;t wish mainland vistors in there private space. Every Police Dept. in the country has problems with skate parks. Ever wonder why it%26#39;s so hard to get them approved to be built? They are nothing but a problem for the cops. Even in Chico.


My nephew has been to the skateboard park in Santa Rosa and Sonoma and had no problems there. He is quite a good skateboarder and I think there%26#39;s a level of respect and awe when an outcomer comes in and is quite good and fun.

BUT, he did have a problem when he tried to surf in Poipu. The locals were less than friendly and he felt compelled to leave the water. He is not a great surfer and very white! Obviously, not from the area.

I would hang out and make sure your kids have no problems before taking off. And give them a cell phone to get in touch with you. I%26#39;ve been traveling to Kauai for 20 years and only ONCE did I have an issue with some local teenagers (outside of my nephews surfing experience).


My kids haven%26#39;t had a problem with the local kids sharing their ';space';. I think if you enter an area with the attitude of ';my park at home is so much better than this trash'; then yes, you%26#39;ll have some problems. Visitor surfers, especially beginners, may not understand the lineup or how to share a wave appropriately. While surfing over Christmas, I had a (probable) visitor shove my 9 yr old over in Hanalei Bay because he felt my son was in his way. I%26#39;ve never had a local kid do that, in fact they%26#39;ve been helpful with surfing tips.

Long answers to a simple question!

  • ie
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment