Thursday, April 19, 2012

First trip to Maui! A couple of questions!

First of all I wanted to thank everyone for all of the information in these forums. I have literally sat here and read through for hours!!





I am planning my first trip to Maui with my girlfriend in March over my birthday. We%26#39;re using my airline miles and marriott points for the trip so it will be relatively inexpensive! We%26#39;re staying at the Marriott in Wailea. We%26#39;re in our mid 20%26#39;s so don%26#39;t have lots of money to burn but can certainly save some for the trip.





First question: We are signing up with Bobby Baker%26#39;s diving outfit, (www.mauisundivers.com) and could not find much on these boards about him. Has anyone used/heard of him? He is very friendly in all of his emails and it seems like it will be a great experience. We are doing the 2 day, 4 dive, introduction class.





Second question: Are there any ';can%26#39;t miss'; stops on the road to Hana?





Third Question: Has anyone stayed at the marriott in Wailea that would recommend anything to eat/do close by? We%26#39;re renting a car but figured we%26#39;d devote one day to relaxing at the hotel and seeing what is in walking distance. Or is there any general information you wish you%26#39;d have known about the hotel/area ahead of time?





Forth Question: My girlfriends%26#39; birthday is coming up before the trip and I wanted to get her something (tickets, dinner, something else fun we could do together) for her birthday. I was initially looking at dinner cruises but the forums all said bad idea. Anything else to do on the island that you might recommend that I could either buy tickets for or get a gift card for so I could give it to her on her birthday?





Thanks so much, I tried my best not to ask repetitive questions from the forums. Please forgive me if I missed a post.





Thanks!



First trip to Maui! A couple of questions!


If you can get to the Kaanapali Beach area I recommend either the Luau or just dinner at the Swan Court, both at the Hyatt Regency Maui. Both expensive, but once-in-a-lifetime kinds of things and definitely worth the cost. Both would be a special b-day treat.



First trip to Maui! A couple of questions!


I think the can%26#39;t miss on the road to Hana is Waianapanapa State Park. Other than that, I%26#39;d take time to make a few more stops as time allows and not even bother trying to fit it all into one day. I think you get more out of that excursion being taking time to thoroughly enjoy few things rather than trying to rush around and see it all.




You are staying in a great area with lovely beaches. There is a nice beach walk that runs along the area. I really like Oheo Gulch and visiting Lindburg%26#39;s grave beyond Hana. You could get her a couples massage certificate for her birthday or go see Wailea Nights which I understand is no longer at Mulligan%26#39;s. Nice dinner show.




';My girlfriends%26#39; birthday is coming up before the trip and I wanted to get her something (tickets, dinner, something else fun we could do together)';





The slack key guitar concert at the Napili Kai on Wednesday might be nice.




On the Road to Hana, be sure to check out the Keanae Peninsula. Many people drive right by it and it is a beautiful spot. There are also public restrooms there which is also a plus. There is also a little stand that sells yummy warm banana bread. Wai%26#39;anapanapa State Park is also a beautiful area. The black sand is very cool.





Since you will be there in March, be sure to go on a whale watching boat trip at least once.





Our fav restaurant in Maui is Cafe O%26#39;Lei. There is one in Kihei which won%26#39;t be too far from Wailea (in a car).





We%26#39;ve been to Maui many times - check out our website at www.adwalsh.com to see a lot of pictures from several different trips - especially some great whale pictures taken by my hubby.





Enjoy your trip!




Love the pictures!..



Thanks for the link!




how about getting your friend a spa treatment on her birthday




I didn%26#39;t see that anyone recommended the Maui Revealed Book, by Wizard Publications. We purchase a new one each time we go to an island.



Secondly, the Annebelle and Warren magic show is unlike I have ever seen anywhere else. I don%26#39;t recommend the dinner, but you can go see the show and then dine somewhere else.




Maui Revealed makes great reading but it controversial on these boards as some think it leads visitors into dangerous situations and onto private property.



You could also be doing a lot of snorkeling at the beach in front of the Marriott and at a half-dozen or so other beaches within 4 miles of the Marriott. I too would recommend a luau up in Lahaina (Old Lahaina Luau) or special dinner out. I haven%26#39;t been to anywhere special in the Wailea are so can%26#39;t recommend anything but have heard NOT to go to Humuhumu at the GW. For the OLL luau, you%26#39;ll want to make reservations a couple months ahead of time. Call them to see how far ahead you should reserve. With our economic problems, you may only need a week or two.




What about the Royal Lahaina Luau?



There is a thread around here somewhere comparing that to OLL.





I too am coming to Maui for the first time and for the $30 difference between the two I am wondering if OLL is that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment